Chicken with Bourbon and Flax
CHICKEN WITH BOURBON
Author: The Flax Chef
Recipe type: Main Course
A nice baked chicken with bourbon and flax. What else do you need?
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cornmeal or fine dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (50 mL) whole flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each 4 oz (125 g)
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced onion
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Black pepper
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) chicken stock
- ¼ cup (50 mL) bourbon or whiskey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) brown sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C).
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flaxseed, flour and Creole seasoning.
- Moisten the chicken breasts with water.
- Coat the chicken breasts evenly with the crumb mixture.
- In a 10-inch (25 cm) non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat. Sear the chicken for 2 ½ minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and finish baking it in the oven until done, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté the onion until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the thyme, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Add the chicken stock and bourbon and heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir the mixture and bring it to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the sauce over each breast before serving.
Serving size: 1 BREAST WITH 2 TBSP/25 ML SAUCE Calories: 303 Fat: 11.5 g Saturated fat: 2.5 g Unsaturated fat: 8.3 g Carbohydrates: 13.7 g Sodium: 276 mg Fiber: 3.4 g Protein: 30.3 g Cholesterol: 69 mg