FLAX HEALTH BARS
FLAX HEALTH BARS
Author: The Flax Chef
Recipe type: Snack
Serves: one 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking pan (30 bars)
These can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months. Nutrition based on recipe using equal amounts or raisins, chocolate chips, coconut, chopped pecans and cran-raisins.
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) butter, softened
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) ground toasted flaxseed
- 2 cups (500 mL) Special K (or similar) cereal
- 1 cup (250 mL) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup (125 mL) combination of raisins, chocolate chips, coconut, chopped nuts, cran-raisins, etc.
- ⅓ cup (mL) whole toasted flaxseed
- ¼ cup (50 mL) raw sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Spray a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Continue beating, adding 1 egg at a time.
- Add the flour and ground flaxseed. Stir until well combined.
- Add the cereal, rolled oats, quick-cooking oats, raisin combination, whole flaxseed and sunflower seeds. Stir until uniform texture.
- Turn into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack in the pan before cutting into bars.
Serving size: 1 bar Calories: 176 Fat: 7.4 g Saturated fat: 3.3 g Unsaturated fat: 3.6 g Carbohydrates: 24.9 g Sodium: 65 mg Fiber: 1.9 g Protein: 3.5 g Cholesterol: 25 mg