HERB & GARLIC PITA
HERB & GARLIC PITA
Author: The Flax Chef
Recipe type: Lunch/Dinner
Serves: 6 pitas
These can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- 2 ½ cups (625 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- One 8 g package active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp/11 mL)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) warm water (100 to 110° F/40 to 45° C)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) whole flaxseed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) crushed dried basil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) crushed dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) flaxseed oil
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 cup (250 mL) of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt.
- Add the water and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add ½ cup (125 mL) of the flour, the ground and whole flaxseed, basil, oregano and garlic powder. Beat on high for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a clean, floured work surface until smooth, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl. Turn the dough to oil all sides. Cover.
- Set in a warm spot to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F (230° C). Lightly flour 2 baking sheets.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
- On a clean, floured work surface, form a pita by rolling each ball into a flax 6-inch (15 cm) circle. Place the pitas on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until the pitas are puffed and brown, about 15 minutes. Remove to a clean work surface.
- Brush the tops lightly with flaxseed oil.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Put the pitas in a large plastic bag but do not seal until completely cool.
Serving size: 1 WHOLE PITA Calories: 230 Fat: 4.8 g Saturated fat: 1.2 g Unsaturated fat: 3.4 g Carbohydrates: 40.4 g Sodium: 163 mg Fiber: 3.2 g Protein: 7.1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg